Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers, but in singleness of heart, fearing God. And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men. Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ. But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done; and there is no respect of persons.
Read: Colossians 3:1-25; 4:1
1. In today’s terms; who is a servant and who is a master?
NOTE: In this country, a servant can seek other employment if the situation is difficult, but at the time of Paul, the vast majority of servants were actually slaves, and they were undoubtedly numerous in the early church. The gospel has always been welcome to the poor and oppressed. PULPIT COMMENTARY The Book of Colossians p 156
2. What is meant by the term “flesh” in verse 22? Use the following verses to help you define it: John 3:6; Romans 9:3
3. Because Jesus Christ is the ultimate Master of every believer, what is the phrase “your masters according to the flesh” used to indicate to the reader? v 22
4. The servant who serves with “eyeservice,” that is doing what will be seen by the eye of the master; a
servant who is a “manpleaser,” will play a double part, acting one way when ___________________,
and acting another way when left _____________________. Such a person is not trustworthy.
5. In contrast to a “manpleaser,” what 2 aspects should be seen in how a Christian servant serves his master? v 22
6. Use the word “single” and Ephesians 6:6 to explain the term “singleness of heart.”
7. What do the following Scriptures admonish servants of Christ as regards to why they ought to “fear God?” Exodus 15:16-18 Men fear and dread God because they see his works and understand the
_____________________of his ________________. As God’s people see his work on their behalf, they
fear him because they know that he is The King who will _____________ for__________
Psalm 5:7 Those who fear the Lord will ________________him.
Isaiah 8:13, 14 If we fear the LORD he promises to be a ______________________for us.
Hebrews 12:29 Our God is a _______________________ ____________.
Matthew 10:28 All men should fear God because he is able to ______________ _________ __________ and ____________ in _____________.
8. From Hebrews 12:28 we learn that as followers of Jesus we are ______________________a ____________________that ____________ be _____________.
We understand that godly fear will by God’s grace bring us to _____________God________________________ with_______________________.
9. How are we to do all the work that we do every day? v 23
10. The word “heartily” speaks of the spirit with which a person performs their work. Use the following Scriptures to explain what it means. Ecclesiastes 9:10a
Why would we work “heartily?” Ecclesiastes 9:10
NOTE: It sanctifies a servant’s work when it is done as unto God (the work is done for the Lord)—with an eye to his glory and in obedience to his command, and not merely as unto men, or with regard to them only. Observe, we are really doing our duty to God when we are faithful in our duty to men. MATTHEW HENRY COMMENTARY Colossians p 766
11. Read Genesis 39:1-23. Explain how Joseph, being a slave, exemplified Colossians verse 22 and 23 by how he did his work; first for Potiphar, and then for the keeper of the prison.
12. What should we remember so that will we always work with “singleness of heart,” and “heartily as unto the Lord?” v 24
13. What is the reward promised to those who serve the Lord faithfully? I Peter 1:4
14. Use the parable of the traveling master to explain how rewards and position in the heavenly kingdom are determined. Matthew 25:14-30
15. Verse 24 tells us that the reason we serve with all our heart is because we serve _________
16. Verse 25 warns that to be an unfaithful servant, will be noted by God. There is no sliding along in the Christian walk, no just hanging on to our ticket to heaven, that is in any way condoned or allowed. What is the stern warning given to Christians?
17. In I Corinthians 3:9-15, we are given a picture of our Christian life being a building that we are
building. The foundation is _____________ _____________. We are laborers for the Lord. How will
every person’s life and the work that they have done to judged?
18. What is the fire by which judgment of what we have done with our lives? Revelation 1:13, 14; 2:18-19a
19. Can a true believer in Jesus (one who believes the gospel according to the Scripture) ever loose their salvation? Explain. I Corinthians 3:15
20. Find several verses that teach us the security of our salvation once we have believed in Jesus as our Savior.
21. In Colossians 4:1, the masters are addressed. What is the Lord’s command to them?
22. What is the reason that a godly master will treat his servant right? Colossians 4:1b