And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
Read: Colossians 3:1-25
Questions cover verses 18-25.
NOTE: Verses 18-21 cover God’s imperatives for relationship harmony. Verses 18-19 concern harmony in your marriage relationship. Verse 18 begins with “Wives, submit.” Yet our very nature cries out against being subject to any, for we all wish to be our own authority. It is this desire for our own way that brought about our subjection to Satan himself in the Garden of Eden.
We make the choice then, either to be subject to God’s command, or to be subject (in submission) to our own lusts and passions, and therefor to be controlled by them and by Satan.
1.According to Scripture, why would a woman WANT to submit to her husband?
a) I Corinthians 11:3, 8, 9 It was God’s __________________ when he ______________________ them.
b) I Timothy 2:13, 14 Back in Genesis 3:1-6 we see that Eve was the one that
was_____________________ by Satan, the serpent. Adam was not. c
c) Ephesians 5:22-24 Wives are to submit to their husbands, for in so doing they ________________to
the _____________ , for Christ is the head of the ___________________. The church is
________________ to Christ, so it follows the wives are to be _______________ _____ ____________
d) I Peter 3:1, 2 Wives should be subject to their own husbands so that they can __________ those that
are unsaved to the Lord by their_________________ ________________________.
e) I Peter 3:3, 4 Wives should show forth a ______________and __________________ spirit. Which is
in God’s sight of ________________ ____________________.
f) I Peter 3:5, 6 The example of what a wife should be is shown to us by other godly women of the past
such as ______________ the wife of _______________________.
2. The ultimate reason for a wife to be subject to her own husband as given in verse 18 is because
______ ______ __________ ______ _________ _____________.
NOTE: The natural of order of human life is grounded in Christ. The “fitness” or rightness of any behavior then is defined by His Word. It is important to learn that what is right and fit is what is BEAUTIFUL. Right and fitting conduct is a work of art to be studied and pursued in the Christian woman’s and man’s life. An example of this being that a pleasant and cheerful temper is BEAUTIFUL, but a harsh and bitter spirit and all that it brings with it in distrust and strife is UGLINESS. PULPIT COMMENTARY Book of Colossians p 166
3. How does the counsel of Proverbs 14:1 apply to what we have learned concerning a wife and her husband?
4. So the 1st imperative in the marriage relationship is for the wife to submit to her own husband. What is the 2nd imperative? v 19a
5. Using Ephesians 5: 25-29 explain in your own words the kind of “love” that a husband is to have for his wife according to God’s word.
6. According to v 19b there is a third imperative necessary to have harmony in our marriage. What is it?
7. Every one wants to have harmony in their home. What is the duty of children towards their parents which is necessary to have that harmony? v 20a
8. From Colossians 3:20 and Ephesians 6:1, what are 2 reasons that children should obey their parents?
N OTE: “to obey” –To be willing to do ALL their lawful commands, and to be at their direction and disposal; as those who have a natural right and are fitter to direct them than they themselves.
9. From Ephesians 6:1, 2, what further requirement is added for children by the Apostle Paul?
10. What is the benefit of honoring our parents? Ephesians 6:3
11. According to Ephesians 6:2, to honor our parents is “the first commandment with promise.” Use Exodus 20:12 to explain what is meant by this phrase. See Exodus 20:1-20 to understand the context of the command.
12. Use the following Scripture to understand ways in which a child honors and obeys their parents. Proverbs 4:1, 10
13. What is the father’s duty towards his children? v 21a
Why? v 21b
14. Define the word provoke.
15. No godly father wishes to provoke his child to anger. Use the following Scripture to outline some of the characteristics of a godly father’s right dealings with his children so avoiding the danger of provoking the child to anger.. Proverbs 1:8 The father gives _____________________.
Proverbs 3:1 The father ___________________of past _________________________.
Proverbs 3:21 The father ________________of _______________________from what has been taught.
Proverbs 9:10 The father teaches his child the ___________ _____ _______ _______________.
Proverbs 15:1, 2 The father does not use ___________________ _____________ when dealing with
his child. He uses his _________________ _____________________.
Proverbs 15:10 The father gives_______________________ as needed.
Proverbs 19:18 The father will ________________his child as needed, and will not be swayed by ________ ____________________.
Proverbs 3:12 The father_____________ his child which he corrects. Even as the LORD __________________ his children that he ____________________.
Proverbs 3:5, 6 The father will ____________in the ______________ with __________ ___________
_________________. The father will not __________________on his own or other people’s ideas of
how to raise a child. Instead, in every thing he does the father will_______________________ God and
his Word for the ______________________that he takes.
II Timothy 2:15 The father will not neglect his own spiritual growth, but he will _______________ _____ ___________ __________________ _______________________ unto God.
Ephesians 6:18 The father will be always ____________________ for his child.
16. What is the goal of parents, especially fathers according to Ephesians 6:4?
17. Using the scriptures of question 15, explain in your own words, how a father nurtures his child in the Lord?