Learn: Luke 1:37
For with God nothing shall be impossible.
Read: Joshua 14:6-15
Joshua was called by God to lead the nation into the Land of Promise and to begin the conquest of the land. The book of Joshua describes the beginning of the conquest and outlines the division of the land promised to the various tribes of Israel. Of all the men of Israel coming into the Land, only the man named Caleb, of the tribe of Judah, is designated for special mention in the division of the land.
1. Why is Caleb of special importance? vv 6-9
2. All the people in the nation of Israel who were 40 years and older had died as they wandered in the wilderness. This was the judgement by God on the nation for refusing to go into the land when the LORD had brought them to the border at Kadesh-bar’nea (Numbers 13, 14). Only Joshua and Caleb were left of their generation for they had “wholly followed the LORD their God.” What unusual thing had the LORD done for Caleb so that he might partake in the nation’s entry into the Promised Land? vv 10-11
3. On the basis of God’s work in his life, and his trust in the LORD, what did Caleb request? v 12
4. Who were the Anakims? Numbers 13:33
5. In choosing to ask for the stronghold of the Anakims as his inheritance, what was Caleb saying that he knew about his God? v 12b, Matthew 19:26; Luke 1:37
6. Joshua answered Caleb by giving him a blessing, what did that blessing include? Joshua 14: 13, 14
7. Was Caleb’s trust in the LORD his God justified? Explain using Joshua 15:13, 14.
8. Caleb had a precious daughter. As any father who wholly follows the LORD does, Caleb wanted a husband for his daughter who would wholly follow the LORD as he had. How did Caleb go about finding such a man? Joshua 15:15, 16
9. What was the name of the young man with courage and belief in the LORD who came forward at Caleb’s offer and conquered the city named by Caleb? Joshua 15:17a
10. What is the name of Caleb’s daughter who became the wife of Othniel? Joshua 15:17b
11. When Achsah came to her new husband, what did she request him to do? Joshua 15:18a
12. Achsah made the request of Othniel her husband, but she herself went to her father Caleb to ask for the land. What does that tell you about how Othniel and Achsah started their marriage? See Ephesians 5:22, 23 for help.
13. Ephesians 6:1-4 gives God’s command concerning the relationship between fathers and their children. How does the relationship between Achsah and Caleb as recorded in Joshua 15:16, 18b, 19 exemplify what we are taught in Ephesians?
14. As these two young people entered into marriage, their marriage had a solid foundation. From what we have learned of Caleb and Othniel and Achsah in the Scriptures studied, what conclusions can you reach about that sure foundation for their marriage?
Joshua 14:8b Caleb was a father who_________________ followed the ____________ who was his ____________.
Ephesians 6:4 Therefore Achsah was brought up by her father Caleb in the ________________ and______________________ of the ___________.
Joshua 15:16 Caleb carefully sought a man with the same _______________ in the ____________ that Caleb had.
Ephesians 5: 22 Achsah had been taught by her father to _________________ herself to her own __________________ as unto the ________________.
Ephesians 5:24 Othniel proved by his action in taking Kir’jath-se’pher to gain the privilege of marriage to Achsah that he would___________ his wife, even as Christ also ________________ the church, and gave _____________________ for it.
15. In Judges 1:10-15, the account of Caleb, Othniel, and Achsah is recorded for a second time. Everything recorded for us in God’s Word is important for our learning, but if something is repeated again, what does that indicate?
16. What instruction do you desire to take for your own life after studying these people?