SARAH –Part 7
Learn: Jeremiah 31:35-37
Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name: If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever. Thus saith the LORD; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth be searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done saith the LORD.
Read: Genesis 22:1-24
- Sarah is not mentioned in this passage, but the events recorded would certainly have affected her. In any case this is one of the very important passages for each of us to consider, as it concerns the “son of promise” through whom our Savior was to come. Verse 1 states that God “tempted” Abraham. Use James 1:13 to explain why this was not a tempting by God of Abraham to sin.
- Knowing that this was not a temptation to cause Abraham to do evil, what is meant by the word “tempt” as used in this context? Hebrews 11:17, It was a ___________by God of Abraham’s __________.
- What did the LORD command Abraham to do? v 2
- Though Abraham had another son named Ishmael, God called Isaac, Abraham’s “only” son. Why? Hebrews 11:17, 18
- What did Abraham do when God made such an unbelievable demand? vv 3, 6, 9, 10
- Why was Abraham able to follow this heart wrenching command by God? Genesis 17:2, 7, 8 Abraham_________________God’s_______________that______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________. Hebrews 11:19 Abraham knew that if Isaac died, God was able to _______________him from _______ ____________ so that God’s promise would be kept. Jeremiah 32:35 Abraham knew the character of God, and he understood that_____________ _____________________ was an ________________________unto God.
- When Isaac asked the question about where their sacrificial lamb was, what did Abraham confidently tell Isaac? v 8
- 8. Isaac carried the wood for the sacrifice up the mountain on his back. What does this indicate about the size and age of Isaac at this time?
- 9. By Isaac’s response to all that took place on Mount Moriah, what do we learn about Isaac’s relationship both to his father and to the LORD? vv 7-10
- In verse 2 God clearly reminds Abraham that He knows of the great love that Abraham has for his son. We understand from verse 12 that God is testing Abraham to determine whether Abraham_____________his son Isaac_____________ than he ________________God.
- How did Abraham show that he had not made an idol of his beloved son? v 12
- It is very easy for parents to put pleasing their children ahead of pleasing God, thus making an idol of their child. Give some examples of how this might happen.
- What verses in this chapter show that God does not in any way condone nor does he require or accept human sacrifice?
- Abraham began his worship of God by______________________ God’s command as seen in verses 3-10. Abraham continued his worship of God by ______________________the _________ which God had ____________________ as seen in verse 13. Abraham completed this time of worship of God by naming the place_____________________________thus acknowledging the _________________ that God had _____________as seen in verse 14.
- In verses 11, 12, 15-18, it is the “angel of the LORD” who is speaking to Abraham. Use the phrases of the “angel” as recorded in these verses to declare who this “angel” is and how you can be sure of your knowledge.
- In verse 16c of what does God again remind Abraham and us?
- According to verses 16-18 list 4 things that the LORD swore (promised) to Abraham?
- What was the guarantee of God’s oath to Abraham? v 16a
- What did the LORD say was the reason that He made this guarantee to Abraham? vv 16b, 18b
- Could the sins of future generations of Abraham’s descendants in any way negate or abrogate the oath that God has made to Abraham? Explain your answer.
- Find and record Scripture that illustrates your answer in question 20. Read: Genesis 23:1-20
- How old was Sarah when her life on this earth was ended? v 1
- Where were Abraham and Sarah living at the time of her death? v 2
- Abraham did not own any land in Canaan, but was a pilgrim in the land. How did he obtain a place to bury his wife Sarah? vv 3-16 Give a BRIEF summary of the account.
- What price did Abraham pay for this property? v 16
- Describe the property which Abraham bought? v 17
- Where did Abraham bury Sarah? vv 19, 20
- What lesson can you gain for yourself from this account?