Hebrews Lesson 16
Learn: HEBREWS 7:24-27
24 But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood. 25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them. 26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens; 27 Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people’s: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.
Read: Hebrews 7:1-28
- This extended passage is divided into two sections. The first section verses 11-19, shows the inability of _________ _______________________ _________________________ to bring ___________________________. v 11
- What did the people receive through the Levitical priesthood? v 11
- What argument from verse 11 shows that the Levitical priesthood was inadequate to accomplish all that was needed for the people to be forgiven and cleansed?
- What was the necessary result of the priesthood being changed from the Levitical priesthood to that of Melchizedec? v 12 NOTE: In verse 11 we read ”another priest.” The word for another used here is “heteros” and refers to “another of a different kind.”
- What contrast is made between which tribe each priesthood came from? vv 5, 13, 14
- Who was it that under God’s direction set up the Levitical priesthood? v 14
- Use the II Chronicles 26:16-21, the account of Uzziah, the King of Judah, to illustrate the point (which is stated in verse 14) that no priest ever came from another tribe with God’s blessing outside of the tribe of Levi.
- From verses 15 and 16, what is the chief characteristic that makes the priesthood of Mechizedec so different from the Levitical priesthood? NOTE: The word ”carnal” as used in verse 16 dos not mean sinful, which is a different Greek word (sarkkos). The Greek word used here is sarkines which simply means “what is
- Record the 2 phrases, one in verse 16 and one in verse 17, that give the same reassurance of the efficacy of the priesthood of Melichizedec which was not possible under the Levitical priesthood.
- What was the problem of the commandments, the law, that had been given before, in its ability? vv 18, 19a
- We are told that the law could not make a man perfect, Why? Romans 3:10-20, especially note verses 10, 11, 12, 19, and 20.
- What would the Melchizedec priesthood accomplish that the Levitical priesthood had not accomplished? V 19b, See also Romans 5:1-2.
- Use Ephesians 2:18-22 to show our former position and to describe the ACCESS gained for us through the priesthood of Melchizedec.
- What does Hebrews 10:19-22 state concerning the ACCESS made possible by the priest WHO is after the order of Melchizedec?
- What further difference between the two priesthoods is stated in verses 20, 21?
- What characteristic of God is again reiterated for us in verse 21?
- What are we told in Malachi 3:6
- Why is the oath God made concerning the priesthood of our Lord being the order of Melchizedec so important to us? v 21b and Hebrews 6:17-19
- We see in verse 22 that Jesus was made a surety. Explain the word surety and how Jesus is our surety. Also see Hebrews 4:14-16. NOTE: A covenant Greek word suntheke) is an agreement between two parties. This better covenant of which Jesus is the surety is a different Greek word ( diatheke), which is the declaration of one person’s will. In the covenants of God, it is GOD ALONE Who sets the terms and conditions of the covenant.
- Why had there been so many priests under the Levitical priesthood? v 23
- The immutability of the Melchiezedec priesthood is based not only on the oath of God but also the fact that this man Jesus _____________________________ ___________________.v 24
- What is the conclusion then that we understand because Jesus is the high priest for us after the order of Melchizedec? v 25