Hebrews Lesson 32
Learn: Hebrews 12:1-3
1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
Read: Hebrews 12:1-17
- We have studied some of the wonderful examples of faith in Hebrews 11, including the suffering and persecution that many endured for the sake of the Lord, now there is a transition to understand God’s purpose and be prepared. What is the transition word? v 1 What does it mean?
- What is the incentive given to us and shown by example in Hebrews 11 that is meant to move us forward in our Christian lives? v 1a
- What should we be spurred on to do as a result of learning of those of faith who are shown to us in the Scriptures? v 1c
Explain the meaning of “race” as it is used in this verse as applied to a believer.
- What is the 1st action needed on are part to run a successful “race” v 1b
- There are things in life that are not necessarily sin and yet they keep us from living our lives to the utmost for Christ, thus hindering us in our “race”. Can you give some examples?
- What is the 2nd thing we need to lay aside if we are to successfully run our “race” of life?
- Looking back through Hebrews we can see that “the sin” in view here is the sin of _____________________. Hebrews 3:12, 13, 19; 4:6, 11
The word “beset” as used concerning this “sin” is a Greek word whose root meaning is “to stand around.” That idea is that the sin of unbelief surrounds us and begins to affect all areas of our lives. David Hocking from Studies in Hebrews p 341
- Can you give an example from Scripture of how the sin of unbelief surrounded and affected people to cause them to fail in the race of life?
- What is a solution to the danger of unbelief? Give Scripture to back your answer.
- 10.What is the 3rd component of a successful race of the Christian life? v 1c
- 11.What is the key to endurance through the many difficulties, trials ,and hardships of this life? v 2a
- 12.“Our faith” should be “THE faith”. What is “THE faith” as defined n Jude 3; I Corinthians 15:1-4; John 20:31; 14:6; 5:26-29
- 13.What establishes Jesus as the “Author” of our faith? Hebrews 2:10
- 14.What makes Jesus the “finisher” of our faith? Hebrews 2:9; Philippians 2:6-1
- 15.What was the reason that Jesus endured the cross? v 2b
- 16.What was that “joy” that Jesus looked forward to? Hebrews 2:10b, 15, 17
- 17.Can you give some examples of the shame that Jesus endured to bring us salvation? Give references.
- 18.What is the PROOF that Jesus has accomplished ALL that he set out to do? What did each proof show?
Revelation 1:5, 6
Revelation 20:1-4, 10, 14, 15
Revelation 22: 3-5
- 19.What should keep us from becoming weary and faint in our minds as we live the Christian life? v 3a
- 20.Explain the word “contradiction” as used in verse 3.
- 21.How often is it necessary to “Look unto Jesus” and to “consider” what he has endured for us in order to be faithful to God and successful in our “race”?