Hebrews Lesson 17
Learn: HEBREWS 7:24-28
24 But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood. 25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them. 26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens; 27 Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people’s: for this he did once, when he offered up himself. 28 For the law maketh men high priests which was since the law, have infirmity; but the word of the oath, which was since the law, maketh the Son, who is consecrated for evermore.
Read: Hebrews 7:1-28
This passage deals with the extent of Christ’s ministry on our behalf.
- First we see that the ministry of Jesus for us involves the ________________________that he offers. Hebrews 7:25
- There are four aspects of that salvation:
Hebrews 7:25 First– the words “he is able” guarantee to us that______________________________________________.
Second—The word _____________________________tells us that our Lord’s salvation is a completed work- nothing is missing.
Third—The channel by which his salvation is made possible is revealed by the phrase_____________ ________________ _________________ _____________ _______ ________________. When Jesus walked on the earth he confirmed that he is the only channel by which we may obtain salvation, saying, _______________________________________________________________ John 14:6
Fourth—We have confidence that this salvation will never fail because Jesus _____________ __________________________ ______ ______________ ______________________________ _______________ __________________.
- Returning to verse 22 of Hebrews chapter 7 we see that the high priest for us is__________________. Then, verse 24 tells us that __________________ is a _____________. How does verse 26a identify who our high priest Jesus is? See also Hebrews 2:14.
- Though Jesus Christ became a man, he was different in what way from every other human being that has ever or will ever live? Hebrews 7:26
- Use the following Scriptures to explain the word holy which describes our Saviour Jesus.
I Peter 2:22
I John 3:5
- Find and record Scripture that further explains how Jesus was harmless, meaning not doing evil or malice to any one, but that rather everything that he did was only good.
- Define the word “undefiled.”
- Hebrews 7:26 tells us that Jesus was ______________________ ___________ _________________ . Yet in Matthew 9:9-13 and at other times the Pharisees accused Jesus because he________________________________________________________________.
NOTE: The word “sinners” refers to known sinful practices such as immorality. We are all sinners by nature and choice. Some among us are quite open and rebellious about our sinful lifestyles. *191(Hocking, 2007)
- What does Paul tell us in the following verses about this problem of association with sinners? I Corinthians 5:9-13 says, but at the same time we have, I Corinthians 9:19-22.II Corinthians 6:14-18 says, but at the same time we have, I Corinthians 5:10 and Acts 1:8.
- How did Jesus show us (see Luke 15: 1, 2; Luke 19:1-7) the difference between meeting sinners and yet remain separate from sinners?
- What was the purpose in spending time with the sinners in legitimate settings and circumstances that do not involve moral compromise? Luke 19:9, 10
NOTE: Jesus, of course, was “separate” fundamentally because there was no sin in him at all.
- What is said here in Hebrews 7:26c of our high priest Jesus that cannot ever be said of any earthly high priest?
- What did those earthly high priests need to do daily? Hebrews 7:27 a, b
- How was the sacrifice of Jesus, our holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, made higher than the heavens High Priest different from those of all the earthly high priests? Hebrews 7:27c
- We see that those earthly high priests offered for themselves as well as for the people, but our LORD’S sacrifice was ________________ _________ ____________________, _____________ ______________ ____________________. John 3:16, I Timothy 1:15; 4:10; I John 4:14
- Find other Scripture that tells us that the sacrifice of Jesus was done only once, never to be repeated again!
- Contrast the high priests which are made by the law with our High Priest, the Son of God. Hebrews 7:28
- What is the word of the oath, which came after the law? Psalm 110:4
- In conclusion, Our salvation is secure forever because it was totally________________________ . Hebrews 7:27 by the Person and work of the Son of God, our Saviour, who is our ______________ ______________.-Hebrews 7:26 the One Who is Eternal. It rests on his (Hebrews 7:24)___________________ nature and His ________________ (Hebrews 7:27) in making our salvation possible.
*Hocking, D. (2007). The messiah of Israel. Tustin, CA: HFT Publications, p.191.